A europe of diasporas

learn more about the project

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: taxonomy_term in taxonomy_field_formatter_view() (line 1621 of /home/luthiers/webapps/diasporas/modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.module).
  • Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in taxonomy_field_formatter_view() (line 1621 of /home/luthiers/webapps/diasporas/modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.module).
Jewish cemetery in Roßau
Seegasse 9/ Entrance from Pensionistenheim (retirement home)
Vienna

Austria

This cemetery goes back to the middle of the 16th Century and is the oldest surviving Jewish cemetery in Vienna and also the oldest cemetery of Vienna. It was in use until 1783. Floodwaters from the Danube continually displaced the gravestones and after the receeding of the flood were only placed close to their original locations. Flood control on the Danube helped resolve the problem. To avoid destruction the remaining gravestones were placed in 1943 in the Zentralfriedhof, Tor IV. In 1984, they were returned and set up again in the original cemetery.

This cemetery goes back to the middle of the 16th Century and is the oldest surviving Jewish cemetery in Vienna and also the oldest cemetery of Vienna. It was in use until 1783. Floodwaters from the Danube continually displaced the gravestones and after the receeding of the flood were only placed close to their original locations. Flood control on the Danube helped resolve the problem. To avoid destruction the remaining gravestones were placed in 1943 in the Zentralfriedhof, Tor IV. In 1984, they were returned and set up again in the original cemetery.
The cemetery is now maintained by the board of trustees of the Pensionistenheim (retirement home) and maintained by Vienna’s parks and gardens service.
The first redevelopment step with approximately 20 gravestones was done end of of 2011 with the help of the municipality Vienna and “Bundesdenkmalamt”. They were set up again at their historical places after an exact measurement of the area done by Israeli Rabbi specialists.

During further restorations over 100 grave stones have been restored and re-erected at their original places. When digging for foundations new tombstones were discovered that had remained despite of the removals done in 1943 at the cemetery.

If you have comments or information to add to this entry, please contact us.